- I believe that access to quality, affordable healthcare for all should be a basic human right.
- I will continue to lead efforts to put prevention and wellness at the heart of our healthcare strategy in order to reduce rates of preventable chronic diseases and lower healthcare costs.
- We must address the lack of adequate mental health services and the crisis of substance use disorder impacting our communities by expanding prevention, treatment, and recovery efforts.
- I will continue to fight disparities in healthcare that impact people of color and those with disabilities.
- I will always defend women’s reproductive health and rights.
- I believe that every child regardless of her zipcode deserves access to a high quality public school education. This is the bedrock of a strong community, society, and economy.
- I will continue to lead the effort to reform the state’s Chapter 70 school funding formula, in order to ensure that every school district receives adequate and equitable state funding.
- We need to think more holistically about what it takes to help our young people thrive in school and go on to successful higher education and careers. This includes social-emotional learning, wraparound services, health services, appropriate technology, extended learning time for some students, new accountability systems that measure more than just test scores, alternative career pathways like apprenticeships, and more.
- We must expand access to quality early childhood education so that every child gets the strong start he needs, and working families have the support they need.
- We must make higher education more affordable for students and families so that cost is not a deterrent to seeking higher education at our public colleges and universities, and students are not forced to graduate with high levels of debt.
Working Families and Economic Justice
- I believe that working families are the backbone of our communities. When working families are strong and thriving, so are our communities.
- I support raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour, without any teen subminimum wage.
- I support creating a statewide paid family and medical leave program that will enable all workers to take time off from work when necessary due to a serious illness or to care for a newborn baby.
- We must continue efforts to close the gender pay gap.
- I support workers’ right to organize and collectively bargain. Public and private sector unions helped build the middle class in our country, and strengthening unions is necessary to help reverse income and wealth inequality in our state.
- We must continue to expand employment opportunities for people with disabilities, and create multiple pathways for young people to pursue good paying jobs and careers, such as apprenticeship programs. This requires increased investment in job training and workforce development programs.
- I support continued increases in the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which is a very effective anti-poverty program.
- I support passage of the Fair Share Amendment (or millionaires tax), which I plan to re-file as a legislative amendment in 2019, that would raise approximately $2 billion in new revenue for transportation and education by imposing a 4% surtax on annual taxable income that exceeds $1 million.
- I believe that a world-class public transportation system is essential to the quality of life and continued economic growth in the greater Boston region.
- We must also make needed investments in our roads, bridges, and other transportation infrastructure.
- I will continue to champion Complete Streets, which enables convenient and safe transportation options for pedestrians and cyclists in addition to cars, and helps promote thriving downtowns in our communities.
Civil Rights and Social Justice
- I believe that every person deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, and nobody should ever have to face discrimination or fear for her safety.
- I support policies that achieve greater racial, gender, and LGBTQ justice and equality.
- I support the transgender public accommodations law and will strongly oppose the effort to repeal this law which will be on the ballot in November.
- I support passage of the Safe Communities Act, which would protect the civil rights of immigrants and promote the safety and well-being of all residents in our communities.
- We must expand opportunities and make it easier for people to participate in elections and civic life in order to strengthen our democracy, including automatic voter registration, same day registration, and expansion of early voting.
- I believe we must tackle climate change with great urgency, both to reduce the impact of carbon emissions on our climate and to adapt to the impacts of climate change which are already been felt in our communities.
- We must accelerate our shift to clean, renewable energy and away from fossil fuels.
- I support policies that protect and preserve our environment and leave our planet in better shape for our children and future generations.